Monday, October 5, 2009

Nostalgia I : Jingle all the way...!!

How often do u look back at some of the incidents in life at hard times and feel so relieved, so joyous, so worthy of living the life.. ?? I do so very frequently… So this is where I share some of those moments.. Not all.. Some are strictly for the pleasure of mine…!!
Christmas is a time to celebrate.. a time to revel in excitement..!! And more importantly time to meet Santa Claus…! What are the qualifications of a santa claus?? He should be funny.. He should have a funny body shape with a pot belly..!! He should be ugly (??) .. My primary school was big on Christmas celebrations.. They had their school day celebrations every year close to Christmas ..!! Most of the programmes were hosted and performed by standard 5 students as they were the seniors in the school..!
I was about 10 years old and in my 5th std. And surprise surprise..!! I was the biggest guy in the class..!! So no wonder the teachers convinced me to do the honors of jaunting around as the Santa Claus.!! My job was simple…!! Wander around with as many feet movements as possible, throwing chocolates to students all around..!! There is another reason why the teachers made me do this.. The previous yr, I signed in for a singing competition.. When I started to sing infront of nearly 350 people , the infamous Bharathiyar kavidai “ Bharatha Samudayam Vaazhgave…”, instead of singing “ Oppilaada samudayam vaazhgave”(Long live a society much more superior than others) , I ended up singing “ Uppilada samudayam vaazhgave”( Long live a society with no salt) . So fearing that I might again enroll for a singing competition, they were quick to make me the santa..
I was bloody excited though.. Santa was like the most celebrated performer of any function irrespective of how shabby he went around with things…! But my mom was not over the moon.. Maybe she understood that its not the best achievement or a role that one could be proud about…! But nevertheless, it was ON…!!
On THE day, I dressed up.. Though I was rotund enough, I had to shove in a pillow for a pot belly and there I was all set as Santa… I was locked inside a class room so that the other kids don’t see me and go all in excitement…!! Not that I was a peeping tom, I still peeped out of the window to see what was going on and that’s when all hell broke loose…! Students centered around my class room demanding and pestering the teachers to see the santa..!! It was then I realized that I had screwed up big time again..!! Luckily though that was my last year in that school..!!
Though I felt bad at that time for the lack of my abilities in histrionics and other stage shows, a time would come where I would surprise myself…!! Wait for that post which will be out in the near future..!
Cheers…!

10 comments:

  1. Nice read.
    You are a good guy.You were never good in histrionics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haa Haa Haa....Good one dude. I think i'll stop over your blog more often again...Which school was this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ondra renda... ellam nenaithu paakave oru nodi podaadey...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uppilladha samudhayam.. was funny!!! nice blog da.. very few blogs will bring a smile on ur face.. n this did.. good one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. good one.... macha find your anonymous dear friend ..who knows :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ rajesh.. Ya..right.. like it is going to change my life...!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete