Monday, March 23, 2009

MS in US-A boon or a bane???

After reading some of my friends' blogs (read saisu and kama)I feel that I should start blogging myself.. especially now that my social life is no longer the way it used to be a year back (thanx 2 US)

Without rambling around, let me try to get to the topic in hand. MS- a worthy option???

While I was still wandering around as an irresponsible student in my 3rd yr of my bachelors, my dad asked me to be clear of what i wanted to do in the future.. I hadn't given it much of a thought till that date and i had to make a decision soon.. His preference was for MBA and he thought I had it in me 2 make it to the IIM's or the IIT's.. Sometimes I pity the confidence the fathers have in their sons.. I was 100% sure that my intellectual ability was no way near to what was required to get into IIM. So at that point I decided that I choose GRE and didnt look back once I made that decision. Making truck loads of money was not the reason (primary) behind my choice. Rather I was forced to do some sort of post graduation and I thought that i had a chance only with GRE. Enough said abt that, I got an admit in UT Austin and some other colleges. My choice to select UT was primarily because of the reduced fee structure than anything else.

To be honest, i was very excited to come to US. The very thought of being independent, far away from home was an experience that I was always anticipating. i thought I was game to that challenge. So with that thought I boarded the flight.

Excited I was, I also had a lot of apprehensions. Funding was one major worry. Though I d say I m in no means, financially chellenged, i often used to think (and still think) that I shouldn't be depending on my parents for money. (@least 4 grad studies). The other major worry was social connections.. I m not talking abt relationships with the opposite sex here (although those r welcome). Finding new friends was a tougher challenge than I expected. It was so easy for me in CEG where i made a lot of buddies very early. Not to happen here in US.

The university as such is way better than CEG.. For, its facilities, the way we,the grad students are treated (even though I m from a different country), free food ( how can i 4get free pizzas), high speed unrestricted net access (as Dr.Velamurali d put it), figures (hotttttttttt....) (namma college attunga podra scenaa paakum podhu, here these gals r goddesses ) are gud.. MS is not as challenging as it sounds. U r given a lot of assignments but if u r serious and sincere, its a cakewalk.. So dont get d false notion that MS is damn hard.. It ain't.. Well.. How worthy is that?? Thats entirely up to u.. I am not the Hi-fi, luxury seeking, prestige seeking individual.. I like to believe that I m a galeej dog and so I like being in Chennai, dining in andra messes, ogling in Besant nagar beach, watching night shows in jayanthi or theyagaraja theatre..

As u can see 4m this, I m still not very comfortable writing blogs.. Hope i get better with time.. Kindly keep following and post ur comments.. Bye..!!

Rammy

20 comments:

  1. Nice start....Keep up the gud work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dae mandaya ne indha alavuku peria al aitaya ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. kollame ... really gud :) .. but i still dint get ur ans 4 d title :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. never intended 2 give d answer.. for, i m still trying 2 figure out myself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool one da.. a great start.. nice. continue writing... interesting to read.. gave me a good break from my mundane work..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome for a starter, i showed it to all my lab mates and they have great appreciation for you. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Machi neeyum muthiraya pathika aaramichita......
    kalakkkal aana startinglayam middlela konjamum than titloda othu poguthu.....
    Title maranthitttu paartha sema gethu

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Wilfred sir.. Thank u sir..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the world of blogging RAMMY!!!!!

    U r such a humble person but i don admire u for that...

    "....I was 100% sure that my intellectual ability was no way near to what was required to get into IIM....." - i don agree with this and am sure all those who have interacted with u will agree with me.. and u r no galeej dog...


    and finally ".........MS is not as challenging as it sounds..." ??? -- i din expect this from u

    nevertheless a gud start from a short tempered bloke who values relationships the most...

    ReplyDelete
  10. dei gr8 start...keep it up
    MS cakewalkaaa.. paathu nada da.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. enna oru adakkam.. Rammy, unakku MS cakewalk da.. Engalukku ellam mulpadukkai.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you can correlate ur ideologies with mine... Visit http://comorinpirate.blogspot.com/2009/03/longing-universities-of-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Ferdin.. How do u even expect me to???????

    ReplyDelete
  14. You words are very honest and out spoken

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good start.. but knowing you so long i wud say one thing.. IIM's or IIT's would have been a cake walk 4 u if had tried. Yaanaikku thanoda balam theriyatha madhiri, ni yum unnoda intellectual capabilitya low estimate pannarae.. Keep bogging

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is the first time i m reading a blog,but don't know how to post one.
    came to know you through ferdin's mail.
    its good..

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Priyaa... Oothaathe...!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post...many people do feel GATE is difficult than GRE, which actually is. MS is lot of work but not difficult work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sema post na..!
    though i haven't the 'intelluctual ability' to grasp wat u've concluded here....it's a nice read!

    ReplyDelete