Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Everything is Amazing... But Nobody is Happy....!!!

The song “Adraaraa Naaka mooka adraaraa Naaka Mookaaa” reverberates in the hall. I wake up not realizing what that sound is. After a brief moment, I understand that it is my alarm tone and my cell phone is promptly obliging to what I asked it to do. “wake me up @ 11 am”. (11 am??? Gosh…!!) I find it annoying to the core; yet I realize I ve 2 get up.

Am off to take a shower. I open the valve and I have the option of getting both hot water and cold water. I also have the option of either using the tub (don’t worry.. I ll never fit in a tub. So I often say ‘No.Thanks’.) or using the shower. Then I come out, switch off the Air-Conditioner unit that has kept me cool irrespective of the scorching weather outside. I put on a jeans pant (which I never need to wash for like 2-3 weeks and I call myself clean and hygienic) and am off to catch the bus.

Here comes the bus. I stroll into it. Try to seat myself in a lovely cushion chair under the air-conditioner. I reach my destination which is like 5-6 miles away, in a matter of 10 mins. On the way I see beautiful freeways, highways, tall aesthetically pleasing buildings, flashy cars, sports bikes, bridges etc.

I open the door of my office. (As a grad student, I m given an office and computing resources to facilitate my research. (??)). I then log into the University’s internet domain. The connection is so fast that one whole movie can be streamed in a matter of 10 mins. I open my Gmail account to see if there is any new email. I find plenty of new emails. Some of them, from various corners of India like Chennai, mysore, Nagercoil, Delhi, Coimbatore, surat, pune etc. and some others from New York, North Carolina, Dallas, Los Angeles, Michigan etc. The Winamp in my computer keeps playing one cool song after another. I realize time after time how good AR Rahman is..

I open my bank account to see if there is any money and I happen to realize that my monthly salary has been deposited directly. All that I had to do was click on a button to make that happen. I feel like having a coffee. I stroll down from the 8th floor to 1st in an elevator that takes me down in a blink of an eye. Just a swipe of credit card does the trick in the coffee shop.

Thus goes on my day. I find everything so easy and amazing. But yet I am not very happy. One thing or the other keeps bugging me. It may be as silly as missing a bus to not getting a job. I guess, as ur comfort level and luxury increases, so does the desire to achieve greater things. We never really are satisfied and happy for what we are and what we have, are we? Atleast I never take a moment and cherish what I have. Its always been ‘what I will be in 2 years 4m now, 5 yrs 4m now’. At the end of my good years, I m afraid I will feel that I didn’t stop and have fun. (there comes another fear).

100 years before, I wouldn’t have been able to say anything that I said in the 1st few paragraphs, except maybe having a coffee. That much has the comfort level increased over the years. The world is much easier and comfortable to live in. (of course there are new threats and fears). Yet how many people are really happy? I wonder…..!!!

3 comments:

  1. liked ur post.. its very nice and really true. yes...need to stop and cherish..what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooooooo true... its almost as if the part of us we feed with comfort.. is not the part that can give us happiness...!! n some thing in us is starved and empty..

    ReplyDelete
  3. dei.. thambi...nice post da..
    I can remember 2 things frm ur blog..
    one our favorite movie- sooriyan .. in that goundu says " I am very happy"..
    2nd thing- Gumms singin -"happy.. indru muthal happppy.."

    ReplyDelete