Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fight 4 the chair......

About 10 yrs back, the day of election (or should I say days) was/were very exciting for me. Not only that my school, being a govt aided school and hence a polling and counting booth, we d get a truckload of holidays, but also I enjoyed the whole concept of people thronging for a long time in polling centers to make a fool of themselves by voting for an idiot time after time. Man, I used to say to myself, those days, “ I m gonna vote for an idiot one day too. “. So when I read abt the imminent election days , I was excited abt a possibility of my first vote.. But as it turns out, I m away 4m my home now and I guess, I will have to wait further to cast a vote.
Now that we r in this topic, It was a no-brainer to find out that the contesting candidates for the top chair are well past prime age. The NDA goes for Advani who I guess is 90 years old and the UPA (is it still an alliance???) backs Mr.Singh. Though highly capable and skilled, he is also in his 80’s. The third front is a comical one. So I am not even going to consider them here. I remember studying in Civics about the various party systems in d world and in some place it said that the bi-party system is the most effective one in democracy. I said 2 myself “ We have more options in our multiparty system? Then how come they say that the bi-party system is the better one?? “ . Only now do I get a clear picture. Man, Bi-party system is way better.
Another interesting aspect abt this election is that almost all the leaders have started talking abt Post-Poll ties.. I can’t do anything but laugh. “If ideological difference is why CPI left the UPA, how come post-poll ties are possible?” , will ask an intelligent man. But we, the common people of India know that these power longing idiots will do anything to get the chair.
During the last yr elections, there happened a mini-scale revolution. A group of IITians formed a party known as d LokParitran. As one would expect, they didn’t even win any constituency. But however, as manirathnam points out in Ayudaezhuthu, it’s the right step forward. This time, a young entrepreneur from d IIM A, Sarath Babu is contesting. I m curious to find out how many votes he d get.
Having said all this, I still feel quite sad to miss out on voting in this election. I personally feel, that it is one time, that I will ever matter to the nation or the society. So irrespective of which idiot, I vote for, I will always feel happy of doing it.

Rammy.

6 comments:

  1. Nice Post...

    it is one time.. that i will ever matter to the nation or the society....

    i'm not v sure... but... there's a lot of depth in that statement! ;) well-written da.. keep writing..

    Dexter

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The NDA goes for Advani who I guess is 90 years old and the UPA (is it still an alliance???) backs Mr.Singh. Though highly capable and skilled, he is also in his 80’s."

    Advani is 81 and Manmohan 78 machi. Also Lok paritran has more internal politics than Congress .. So, I think the system is flawed coz it makes the ppl flawed.. Not the other way

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Dexter. Thanks da.. Will do.

    @ Anonymous.. geez, I ve gotta get my facts right..Shouldn't I?? Thanks mate..!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our college politics were far more interesting than these .rite ??

    Our Favorite politicians :
    GUMMS
    CP
    MANMATHAN
    RAKESH.... the list goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lok paritran and now Sarath Babu I doubt many have no idea about their participation !
    One prominent reason could be
    -Not a famous personality
    -Does not own a channel(Atleast TamilNadu politics just live by this)
    Cheeranjeevi is now actor turned politician is making using of the fact for his PRP!!
    I happend to watch couple of election programs in IBN ,NDTV n It just struct me Y not a reporters like Rajdeep(IBN chief editor) n like who is dominant on their political view, throngs different party spokesperson with naive common man questions which really test their patience n for their profession has made them a know personality Enter Politics ???????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rameshwar,

    Nice article, but in the end, you resort to ideological day dreaming. Lok Paritran will never make it nor will sarath. The reason is simple, 75% of people who vote in India, vote with their stomach and the remaining vote on the basis of religion and caste. The free-agent, free-thinking voter is out of vogue and that is the way it will be in a multi-polar democracy. The only silver lining in this election is that Hindutva has made a come back in the heartlands and if ever we are to see a bi-polar segregation of votebanks, we will see it due to this issue.

    Ashwin

    ReplyDelete